Pages

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Should a family watch a resuscitation?

Ask anyone in medicine if they think a family member should watch the care of a cardiac arrest, and I think the majority of providers would say "no".
I suspect we as providers are afraid of many things that "might" occur during the event.

What if we mess it up? 
What if I look foolish by missing something obvious?
What if the family gets out of control and tries to interfere with the care?
What if they record it and try to show I am incompetent?



N Engl J Med 2013; 368:1008-1018March 14, 2013

These French researchers showed  a measurable improvement in the family member's well being if they witnessed the resuscitation. The family members had fewer symptoms of anxiety, depression and PTSD if they were present during the event. This is one aspect I had not really put a priority on, but I realize it is a very important thing. In a time like that, we should all strive to do the best we can for the family. 

Other findings from the research?  no increase in medico-legal claims, no added emotional stress to the providers and no change in the characteristics of the care.



I have thought about these things, recently, to my chagrin. I was involved in a case where we were trying to resuscitate a patient who arrested during what was supposed to be a routine transfer. We did our job and the patient did not survive. But during the event, a family member started recording things with her phone.

 I was immediately nervous. What was I thinking?, well .. (see above)

Those are all questions you have when you are not confident in what you are doing. If you know you are doing your best, and you are following community standard, or written protocol, then a recording should not be a concern.

Unless of course, conversation or behaviors are not as professional as they should be.
Remember 

Integrity: What you do when no one is watching.





No comments: